Health libraryBack to health library
Don't ignore this lung infection
Pneumonia is an infection of one or both of the lungs. Many germs—such as bacteria, viruses and fungi—can trigger pneumonia. The disease can be particularly serious in children 2 years old or younger, adults 65 and older, and people with health problems.
Is it pneumonia?
See a doctor right away if you have the following signs and symptoms of pneumonia:
- High fever.
- Shaking chills.
- Cough with phlegm that gets worse or doesn't improve.
- Shortness of breath with normal activities.
- Chest pain when you breathe or cough.
- Feeling suddenly worse after a cold or the flu.
- Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute